|a blend of root vegetables|
2 Tbsp. Earth Balance
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 tsp. grated fresh ginger
1 tsp. grated garlic
2 Tbsp. arrowroot
1 Tbsp. curry powder
2 1/2 cup bouillon
1/2 tsp. garam masala
Mixture of steamed veggies: I used sweet potatoes, cauliflower, parsnips, carrots plus thawed frozen peas
1. Heat 1 Tbsp. of "butter" in a skillet and saute onion slices on low heat until they are brown.
2. Add garlic and ginger and saute well.
3. Set aside.
4. Heat 1 Tbsp. of "butter" in a medium pot.
5. Put in the flour and saute on low heat.
6. Add the curry powder and mix well.
7. Add bouillon little by little, stirring well.
8. Add onion in the sauce.
9. Simmer the sauce until thickened. (at this point throw in the veggies - can also use chicken or beef here IF THAT'S YOUR THING.
10. Add garam masala at the end.
11. Then I simmer it a little longer and allow the flavors to marry.
This can be served over rice BUT I make it with lots and lots of veggies and serve it as a thick stew.
HINT: For this dish I rely on Penzey's Spices: http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/shophome.html
Maharajah Curry Powder and
Garam Masala Punjabi Style