Thursday, August 2, 2012

GREEN BREAKFAST SHAKES (and purple)


at my house the new color for 2012 is GREEN


I've discovered another great way to make use of my garden greens and reap the benefits of great nutrition...the green breakfast drink.

Use fruit but not ALL or even the majority of fruit for your breakfast drink.   Remember 3 servings a day is plenty for that fruit group.  On the other hand, eat as many greens as you want...healthily prepared, of course.  (I'm learning a lot about greens cooked in the south;  many are cooked with pork.  Always ASK)

This morning my drink included:

frozen banana
apple
1 lime, no skin
2 ribs celery
4 kale leaves
2 Tbsp. chia seeds
1 to 1 1/2 cups water
cup of ice cubes

Process all together in a high speed blender till very smooth.

I personally believe that if you aren't used to drinking greens, a gradual approach is most effective.  Make it palatable.  Over time, decrease the amount of fruits used and go from using milder greens (such as chard, even romaine) to middle intensity then onto eventually the stronger greens (collards, mustard, kale).  But whatever you do...USE GREENS!!!

my new favorite purple shake:



about 6 beet leaves
1 carrot
1 celery rib
about 3/4 cup frozen blueberries
2 Tbsp. chia seeds
1 cup ice cubes
water as needed, 1/2 to 1 cup

Blend all together.



No comments: