Friday, September 23, 2011

DINING IN BALTIMORE / GARLIC GARLIC SALAD

casual yet elegant

The highlight of traveling back north is always a meal in Baltimore.  Chiaparella's makes the BEST salad or so I remembered.  Yep, another memory food!  This time around, I found the salad to be way too rich and the serving is way too large, despite the fact that I actually shared one (can one person really eat this much?).  I've become accustomed to the Forks Over Knives dressings with the NO oil policy.  I was actually sick all night, just way way too rich for me. 

it is a great looking salad / I like the red onion diced or thin slices

 I have actually grown to love my version much better.  It's much less creamy and rich and not near as heavy.  (I think my trips to Baltimore are over.)  Even though I previously posted this recipe, I'm listing it ONE MORE TIME.  Enjoy!

add some cherry tomatoes for color

GARLIC GARLIC SALAD DRESSING:

1 cup olive oil
minced garlic (5 cloves)
1/2 cup wine vinegar
1 1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan or Romano cheese (or vegan alternative)
1 Tbsp. oregano

Mix the above ingredients and let it set overnight if possible.

SALAD:

2 heads of lettuce, shredded
thinly sliced red onion
2 chopped hard boiled eggs
4 or 5 Italian peppers (optional for garnish)

Mix the above ingredients in bowl.  Just before serving, pour on the dressing.  Toss and serve.

For a main dish, top with calamari or grilled shrimp.

No comments: