Sunday, September 16, 2012

ASIAN NOODLE SOUP / VEGAN

 
 
This is one of my very favorite soups and I'm not sure why I've never posted it.  The basic recipe comes from my very favorite book, A Beautiful Bowl of Soup.  Great book!  As usual, I changed it up by adding tofu and substituting glassy noodles for the wheat-flour noodles. 
 
INGREDIENTS:
 
8 cups vegetable stock
1 block tofu, drained and cut into small cubes
1/4 cup tamari
dash of ground white pepper, or to taste
4 oz. glassy noodles, soaked in hot water as per pkg directions, drained and cut into smaller pieces
8 cups (about 8 oz.) stemmed and coarsely shredded fresh spinach
2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
2 green onions, including green parts, finely chopped
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
 
 
DIRECTIONS:
 
Combine the vegetable stock, tofu, tamari, and pepper in a large pot.  Cover and bring to a boil over high heat.  Turn down heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
 
Add the noodles, spinach, corn, green onions and red pepper flakes.  Again bring to a boil, cover, turn heat to low.  Cook about 10 minutes.  I serve with extra tamari for additional seasoning and white pepper.
 
This is my all time favorite cookbook.  Every recipe I've tried has been totally
successful and offers the most unusual blend of flavors.
The Asian Noodle Soup is made quickly for lunch or dinner.
 
 
 
 


No comments: