Monday, December 12, 2011

my holiday - CASHEW NUT ROAST WITH HERB STUFFING

For years I served this "ROAST" as my main dish in lieu of a turkey.   I found the original recipe in a British cookbook.  On a typical holiday, I served this with candied sweet potatoes, cranberry, hazelnut green beans and vegetarian gravy.  Imagine my mom's surprise when she spent Thanksgiving with me and wasn't served turkey BUT cashew loaf.  We laughed about this for years.

This year I'll be nibbling on pieces of this cashew loaf at a picnic on the beach.


pulverizing the cashew layer of the nut roast

the typical stuffing for the middle layer, lots of celery and onions

INGREDIENTS:

2 Tbsp. butter (Earth Balance)
1 large onion, cut in half and slice thin
8 oz. raw cashews
6-8 oz. whole wheat bread, I use the lite rolls about 4-5 (tops and bottoms)
2 large garlic cloves
7-8 oz. vegetable stock
salt and pepper
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 Tbsp. lemon juice

for the stuffing:

4 - 5 whole wheat rolls, tear into little pieces
2 Tbsp. Earth Balance
1 small onion, grated
1 stalk celery, grated
1/2 tsp. each thyme and marjoram
1 Tbsp. parsley


DIRECTIONS:

cashew layer

I use either a spring form pan OR tube cake pan, with removable bottom.  Which ever you choose to use, spray with Pam.  Set aside.

Melt 2 Tbsp. butter in a medium-size saucepan, add the onion, and saute for about 10 minutes until tender but not browned.  Remove from heat.

Grind the cashew nuts in a food processor with the bread and garlic, add to the onion, together with the stock, salt, pepper, nutmeg and lemon juice.  Mix all together.

stuffing

Place the celery and onion in the food processor and grind.  Saute these in the skillet with the 2 Tbsp. butter.
Saute till softened.  Add the stuffing ingredients.

assemble:

Put half the cashew nut mixture into the prepared tin, top with the stuffing, then spoon the rest of the nut mixture on top.  Dot with a little butter.

At this point I always cover and refrigerate for 1 to 2 days (for the holidays).  OR you can bake at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes or until firm and lightly browned.  Cool for a minute or two in the tin, then remove the sides of the pan.

Great served with vegetarian gravy.  I often freeze the leftovers, yields many meals.

For company, garnish with sprigs of parsley and small slices of lemon.

the roast baked in a spring form pan / normally I use a tube cake pan

This is delicious leftover, served cold OR warmed with gravy.

No comments: