Friday, July 20, 2012

CARROT DAWGS


boil or steam the whole peeled organic carrots

I got this recipe from a lovely woman that I met at Summerfest 2012.  Penny told me her sister-in-law originally made these as a joke.  Penny and husband liked them so much, they started eating them regularly.  I made them last night for the first time, LOVE THEM.  They are meant to be served on a whole wheat roll with "the works" but I served them as a side dish.  Next time I'll try the rolls.

INGREDIENTS:

4 carrots - cut bun length
1 Tbsp. sesame oil or olive - I do not use any oil
1/4 cup vinegar
1/4 cup water
2 Tbsp. tamari
1/2 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp. liquid smoke
pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS:

Boil water, add carrots, cook till you can pierce with for, run cold water on them, drain. (or steam)

Mix together the marinade and add the carrots for a few hours or up to several days.

Grill or may heat in 350 degree oven 10 - 15 minutes.

Penny says to save the marinade and boil more carrots so that you can have a continuous supply.  We both use the Forman electric grill.  It's sooooooooo easy.


grilling the dawgs with foil-lined parchment paper filled with greens etc.



parchment wrapped grilled greens with carrot dawgs


2nd batch served as the intended use / HOT DAWGS
with all the fixings
these would be great served with my butternut squash fries





No comments: