Thursday, June 16, 2011

QUICK SUMMER SALAD

My Favorite Summer Salad/QUICK

I obtained this recipe when I attended a 5 day vegetarian conference in Johnstown, PA. It quickly became my favorite.  I've made changes to accomodate my love of limes. 

Sweet Corn and Tomato Salad with Fresh Cilantro

5 ears fresh corn, husked
1 lb. plum tomatoes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
3/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
juice of 1 lime

Cook corn in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, about 5 minutes.  Drain; cool to room temperature. 
Cut corn kernels from cobs.  Transfer corn to a large bowl.
Add remaining  ingredients; toss to blend.
Season salad to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made 2 hours ahead.  Let stand at room temperature, tossing occasionally.)
As a main dish, protein enriched, add 1 can of drained and rinsed black beans.  YUMMY!

No comments: