Tuesday, June 21, 2011

SUN-DRIED TOMATO PESTO

I just had a fabulous summer day lunch (OK OK, I'm sure the chilled white wine helped - I had to!  It's 102 degrees here today). 

This recipe can be used for lunch as I have today, for fabulous appetizers or as a tasty substitute for pizza sauce. (I plan on making Christine's flatbread pizzas SOON with this pesto and some fresh veggies from my garden. 

PERFECT SUN-DRIED TOMATO PESTO
(makes 1 1/2 cups, takes 10 minutes)

2 (3-oz) pkgs sun-dried tomato halves  (I just used the tomatoes from the jar / a brimming 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese ( I use the vegan product)
1/2 cup loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup pine nuts
3 cloves garlic
3 Tbsp. cold water
1 Tbsp. lemon juice

DIRECTIONS:

Process all ingredients in a food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides as needed.  Serve


the vegan cream cheese used to spread on the cracker
great on bagels too

perfect sun-dried tomato pesto

LUNCH or appetizers:

I spread a cracker with vegan cream cheese, top with the pesto and garnish with a pinenut.  Looks nice and tastes great!

Next I'll be trying the leftovers as a pizza spread...stay tuned.

No comments: